Tuesday, 4 December, 2018

8.30 - 11.00pm
£8 on the door


Steve Rubie has run the 606 Jazz Club since 1976.. "I first set foot in the 606 Club in the late 60’s after a gig with my friend, singer/guitarist Dave Lipson.. Situated at 606 Kings Road it was a unique venue which boasted 7 tables and a log fire, the only heating during the winter months. I was then still at school, although already playing venues, and it was a year later when I started at University in London that I became a regular visitor to the Club. Whilst the rest of my friends were going to parties every weekend, I was off to do gigs.. Jonathan Gee has worked with many of the country's leading jazz musicians, including Steve Williamson and Tim Whitehead, vocalists Christine Tobin and Cleveland Watkiss, and poet Lemn Sissay. From the USA he has appeared with Pharoah Sanders, David Murray, Benny Golson, Jean Toussaint, Art Farmer, Mark Murphy, James Spaulding and Ted Curson. He is a founder member of the Monk Liberation Front, dedicated to the study and performance of the work of pianist/composer Thelonious Monk. “The impeccably-dressed pianist Jonathan Gee sent flurries of notes tumbling over the tune's ever-shifting, churning brew of chords in a prodigious display of technical brilliance" Jack Losh - Jazz Times.